How did you guys get into MWC?

for english talking people

Moderator: Moderators

lgsbchac
Ephraim Wanker
Your favorite MWC Character: Peggy Bundy

How did you guys get into MWC?

Post by lgsbchac » Sun May 28, 2017 1:21 am

When and how did you become fans of the show?
I, personally, started watching it when I was in 6th or 7th grade because they would air reruns on a German TV channel when I came home after school everyday.
I don't really remember the exact time I started watching but I quickly fell in love with it and the characters.
I even named my first guinea pig after Peggy Bundy (even though it was male).
Then after some time they stopped airing it after school and instead aired 8 Simple Rules, which I also liked but Kate Sagal had a completely different dub voice, which irked the hell out of me.
Anyway, I found out that it was still on on Sunday mornings so for a month or so I would get up at 6 am every Sunday morning just to catch a few episodes.
That was about 5 years ago and recently I finally bought the 11 season box set so I can watch all the episodes in English (finally!). I'm literally obsessed, I love this show so much and I'm glad to have found this fun forum now.
Feel free to tell your stories about how this sitcom got you hooked, I'd love to hear them!

Chrissi
Just call me Chrissi :wink:

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Re: How did you guys get into MWC?

Post by marriedaniac » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:09 am

Been watching the show since I was young, and can't remember when exactly. It was on after school. (Australia was a bit behind the US) But I've been a full-on fan now, and collecting all I can, for 20 years now! Man I feel old.

Anyway, welcome. If you're on facebook, I have a page to like/follow if you're not already: https://www.facebook.com/mwcbundy/

Enjoy!

Spare Tire Dixon
Grandmaster B
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Spare Tire Dixon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:02 pm

I was 22 when MWC premiered. I saw the pilot episode the day it originally aired. It was heavily hyped and I think they showed it several times that day. I wasn't really impressed and thought the show was just okay. I saw a couple more episodes of season 1 and felt the same, but I didn't have cable and it was better than whatever else was on. Then they aired the episode "Poppy's by the Tree"and I was hooked. I literally laughed till I hurt and became a devoted fan right then and there. I remember wishing I had a VCR so I could record it every week, because they weren't showing reruns yet, and I was sure it was going to get cancelled! :)
I dropped you like third period French!

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:15 pm

My mom watched it when I was a kid, and I watched it with her late in the evenings. Can't remember when I started, but I was very young.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:57 pm

I was 11 years old and a group of us boys in my homeroom watched Fox's Sunday night line up and then we'd laugh about it the next day. I don't remember the first time I watched or what got me so hooked but it was season 4.

Malkrum
Shoe Salesman

Post by Malkrum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 am

My older sister watched it when I was a kid. I was 10 years old back then.

Officer Dan
Al "Icky" Bundy
Your favorite MWC Character: Al "4 Touchdowns" Bundy

Post by Officer Dan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:11 am

I was about 12 years old, in the first time it was screened in the middle of the night at RTL plus Television in Germany. But when the station realized that the people loved it they changed the spot to the afternoon. I remember that i recorded some shows on VHS, think the first one was "Poppy's by the Tree".
In the 90's almost everybody in Germany in my age had to watch "Married...with Children". Things like "Bleen", "Big Bad Momma" etc. were absolutely common to us.
Eine schrecklich nette Familie / Married...with Children-Fan seit / since 1992

esthermoffit
Ephraim Wanker

Post by esthermoffit » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:36 am

Like many have already said there wasn't a specific time or episode I recall becoming a fan. It was just some show on FOX and I was already watching that station because I really liked the Simpsons. The humor wasn't too grown up for me, or so I thought in my naive youth, but I really enjoyed how it was so distinct from all the other shows at the time. Most TV shows centered around a family focused on positive, almost preposterous values and themes. The Bundys were very different. They were very much Rock n Roll! They played by their own rules and apologized to no one. Bud and Kelly teased each other the way my sisters and I did. Mom and Dad weren't perfect either. My family was never close and other shows depressed me. MWC made me feel better because it's fun to cheer for the underdogs. If nothing else, I knew that despite our flaws, my family wasn't quite as cursed as the Bundys. :)

This is perhaps my favorite sitcom of all time. Many have come since it and had better writers, better characters, and better stories. What made this show work was that it took risks and most likely because no one could have ever foreseen the success it would have. I still watch the episodes every now and then and find moments that make me smile. If anyone ever wanted to teach an acting course in nuanced gestures and comedic timing I would show them MWC episodes. The cast worked well together and the fact they have remained close in all the years since says a lot about the caliber of the actors. Much like the first scary movie I ever watched, not knowing what to expect at any turn, MWC was exciting from one episode to the next. It was groundbreaking; carving a path I'd never before seen and right while I was watching it. TV has never been more exciting for me since then. How could it?

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon May 20, 2019 4:15 am

Well put.