HONDO forum viewing - Friday, February 18th 2011

for english talking people

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Re: HONDO forum viewing - Friday, February 18th 2011

Post by Dr. Shoe » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:13 am

That was great. That's the Duke, independence, toughness, and won't take s*%t from anybody. You could see Al's mimicry of him right away. I like the bar fight. "These shirts are hard to come by."

Some other great John Wayne movies I like: The Searchers , considered by many to be one of the greatest films of all time and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. True Grit, McClintock there are sooo many, Al would love every one. Except one, the worst JW movie ever is The Conqueror The Duke plays Genghis Khan and let me tell you, it just does not work.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:19 am

There, just got done watchin HONDO. Man, what a ride! Now I haven't seen a whole lot of John Wayne movies in my life (though that's about to change), but I can say with certainty that I can't hold it against Al for thinking this is his best work. It was a very good movie, it had everything a good western needs. It had an interesting love story, fighting scenes, lots of gun battles, resulting in people dying here and there. Classic American western from this era IMO.

I noticed quite a bit of those 3D shots, mostly from the fight Hondo had with that Apache who wanted blood revenge because Hondo killed his brother. There were two or three 3D shots in that scene, and another right near the end with the big battle between the American army and the Apache's.

I liked the humor in the movie, too. It had a whole bunch of humorous scenes for us to enjoy. I think my personal favorite is when Hondo learns that the boy can't swim and simply grab him and throw him into the lake :) When he learns that his mother can't swim either, she runs away, scared to death that he'd do the same to her :) Classic stuff.

Anyone else amazed at the fact that Ed O'Neill ACTUALLY walks the way John Wayne does when he's having his fantasy in episode 0824, Assault and Batteries? I chuckled when I saw that. I hadn't thought of that before. Of course Ed overdo the impression, but he got the general moves spot-on. I'm going to practice on my John Wayne walk right away! :)

What did everyone think of that last gunfight showdown between the American army and the Apache? That was pretty damn epic IMO. A huge amount of horses and extras were used in that scene. Must have taken quite a while to shoot. I'm very impressed by that scene, one of the best in the whole movie as far as I'm concerned.

Overall I really, really liked this movie. Al really has great taste in his movies and favorite actors. I'd give this movie an 8/10 rating.

I can only hope that Al finally got to enjoy this movie somewhere in fantasyland, now that he's 65 years old and perhaps finally retired from selling shoes. This one really was for you, Al. A treasured memory for this MWC fan.

FOR HONDO!!!!!!

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

ARMAN
No Maam Member

Post by ARMAN » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:37 am

^^lol nice pictar :P

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:22 am

Dr. Shoe wrote:That was great. That's the Duke, independence, toughness, and won't take s*%t from anybody. You could see Al's mimicry of him right away. I like the bar fight. "These shirts are hard to come by."
Yeah, I loved his attitude and I loved that line. Probably the best line in the movie just before he punched the guy!
ARMAN wrote:^^lol nice pictar :P
Thanks, I think it turned out perfect! It's frame-worthy even :)

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Post by marriedaniac » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:24 am

Shoe Dick wrote: Weird, I saw "Part 1 of 14" and just assumed the other 13 parts were available too.
The links were bogus.

I enjoyed reading your reviews, guys! 8)

TerryJ
Shoe Salesman

Post by TerryJ » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:30 am

Just finished watching the film. I don't usually watch a lot of westerns but I thought the movie was very enjoyable. A great combination of action, romance and comedy with a good story and solid acting. Easy to see why Al likes it so much!

I hope Al got a chance to see it- otherwise he'll have to wait until he's 82!

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:21 pm

TerryJ wrote:Just finished watching the film. I don't usually watch a lot of westerns but I thought the movie was very enjoyable. A great combination of action, romance and comedy with a good story and solid acting. Easy to see why Al likes it so much!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, too.

Where's LetsRock with her opinions?

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

ARMAN
No Maam Member

Post by ARMAN » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:05 pm

i am wondering if Ed have watched Hondo yesterday :) wouldnt it be uber cool? :D

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:06 pm

ARMAN wrote:i am wondering if Ed have watched Hondo yesterday :) wouldnt it be uber cool? :D
What would be über cool is if he watched it and joined in on our discussion :)

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

ARMAN
No Maam Member

Post by ARMAN » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:25 pm

hehe :mrgreen:

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 pm

TerryJ wrote:Just finished watching the film. I don't usually watch a lot of westerns but I thought the movie was very enjoyable. A great combination of action, romance and comedy with a good story and solid acting. Easy to see why Al likes it so much!

Yea, see you all back on this thread in 2028. We're not going to get to watch movie very many more times guys! We'll have to pass the tradition on to the next generation.

LetsRock
Verminator
Your favorite MWC Character: Al "Four touchdowns in one game" Bundy

Post by LetsRock » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:32 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed it, too.

Where's LetsRock with her opinions?
I'm here! Sooorreey was out last night!
I thought it was a great movie! Al is right on the money with this one! I especially liked the fighting scenes, like the bar fight that was good! And I too loved it when he threw that kid into the water! hahaha :D

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 am

LetsRock wrote:I'm here! Sooorreey was out last night!
I thought it was a great movie! Al is right on the money with this one! I especially liked the fighting scenes, like the bar fight that was good! And I too loved it when he threw that kid into the water! hahaha :D
I'm so glad you liked it too. I guess it's confirmed, us MWC fans all have great taste in movies, similar to Al's! :)

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

LetsRock
Verminator
Your favorite MWC Character: Al "Four touchdowns in one game" Bundy

Post by LetsRock » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:19 am

Shoe Dick wrote:
LetsRock wrote:I'm here! Sooorreey was out last night!
I'm so glad you liked it too. I guess it's confirmed, us MWC fans all have great taste in movies, similar to Al's! :)
:D I think you're right, I think nearly all of us dislike Full House too! 8)

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Dr. Shoe wrote:This aspect of Al often reminds me of my Dad. He's that same generation, they watched cowboy movies when they were kids and my dad still watches them over and over and John Wayne is huge. My dad will actually use the him as an authority on things. Like for example he would say "The Duke wouldn't put cream in his coffee." "The Duke wouldn't wouldn't order a steak rare." Or the ever present, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."
I'm sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I must have forgotten about it. Man, your dad is so cool. That's the way I'll be like when I grow old, referring to my old heroes in that fashion.

"Wine? Al Bundy would never drink wine!"

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008