Futurama

Discuss other TV-series and movies that the MWC actors has been a part of in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Panek
Dodge Liebhaber
Your favorite MWC Character: Al & Peggy

Futurama

Post by Panek » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:54 am

Last month I got back to watching Futurama, because they returned for another season in 2010. When I was finished, I wanted more, so I got back to watching all the episodes again from the beginning. While I was doing that, listening to Katey's voice as Turanga Leela, captain of the Planet Express delivery spaceship, made me think of Peggy, so from that I went back to watching MwC from the beginning. And also sometime ago I watched all episodes of the Sons of Anarchy, so all of that made me come back from a long break that I took from posting on this forum - hello again, everyone! :)

I noticed that we didn't have a Futurama topic here, so I thought I might as well start one, since this is my favorite cartoon.

But, don't let the word "cartoon" deceive you. It's not just some silly show for kids, it has some very adult themes and a very funny, over-exaggerated sci-fi outlook on the future in the year 3000 (actually, in the current season, it is 3010). The show was created by Matt Groening, who also created the Simpsons - I guess the second show, along with MwC, that got FOX from the gutter to where it is now. And while for me The Simpsons are over (I think they just lost their appeal), Futurama still is funny and fresh.

I'm sure that many of you have caught glimpses of it, maybe some are even hardcore fans like me, but in case someone hasn't seen it yet, here's a short summary:
So basically, you have a 25-year old pizza delivery boy, Philip J. Fry, who gets accidentally frozen in the year 2000 and emerges in 3000 in a futuristic New New York - now with flying cars, robots living alongside humans, interstellar travel and all other sci-fi goodies. Fry, Leela and Bender (an alcoholic robot, originally made to bend steel girders) make up the crew of Planet Express, a delivery company started by Fry's great-great-great-great-(...)-great nephew, Professor Farnsworth. They go on various adventures (or sometimes adventures come to them), hilarity ensues and it's great to watch.

Katey Sagal voices Leela, a purple-haired Cyclops woman. She is the delivery ship's captain, she kicks ass and pretty much always gets the rest of the crew out of trouble. Fry is in love with Leela and they have this on and off friendship/relationship going throughout the series.

Due to FOX's ignorance and mishandling of the show, it got canned in 2003. But now, due to popular demand and strong DVD sales, it's back on Comedy Central and I hope it's gonna stay there for good.

MwC fans will of course love the huge homage to Married... with Children in the season two episode "A Bicyclops Built for Two". This has been mentioned on the Bundyology website, but I decided to give a more detailed description. In this episode, Leela (who is a one of a kind alien, the only Cyclops on Earth) meets - on the Internet - another Cyclops named Alcazar. She immediately falls for him (herself being lonely and constantly trying to find out where she came from, because she is an orphan) and goes to his planet, where they establish a relationship. He is the last male Cyclops alive and he shows her around their home planet, where their civilization once lived. Now, I won't tell you the conclusion to the episode and what happens (I don't wanna spoil it), but after sweet-talking Leela, Alcazar - now called Al - turns into an abusive, lazy slob. The latter part of the episode essentially turns into one big Married... with Children reference with Katey Sagal somewhat reprising her role as Peggy, although through the character of Leela. She has everything - the hairdo, the clothing, and Katey even does her voice in a similar manner to Peggy. Some MwC-style humor returns, this line for example:
- [Leela] Hey, where'd you get this couch, and that TV set, and all this stuff?
- [Alcazar] They were giving it away on the street corner - just like you, Leela!
Even the Bundy's couch is there! It's really fun to watch :) See the screenshots below:

Image Image Image Image

They're also poking fun at MwC audiences who came to the taping of the show - there's a pig and two rats reacting ecstatically to every joke with yelling and hooting, much like what we see in the original series.

So, any other Futurama fans beside me here? What do you guys think of the show?

And for other people who haven't seen it - go watch the pilot or at least "A Bicyclops Built For Two" - you won't regret it!

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Re: Futurama

Post by marriedaniac » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:53 am

I love Futurama!
I love the fact that it's written by a bunch of nerds with their multiple degrees in maths & science. :) Have you listened to all the audio commentaries as well?

The only way that "A Bicyclops Built For Two" could have been improved is if Ed O'Neill provided Al(kazar)'s voice.

"Alllllllllll! I did my hair the way you wanted it!"

Thanks for starting the topic.

Panek
Dodge Liebhaber
Your favorite MWC Character: Al & Peggy

Post by Panek » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:03 pm

marriedaniac wrote:I love Futurama!
I love the fact that it's written by a bunch of nerds with their multiple degrees in maths & science. :)
Same here!
Have you listened to all the audio commentaries as well?
Not yet, but I probably should. Problem is, I started watching MwC and Futurama again, but it turned out I won't have as much time to do so as I'd like...

[/quote]The only way that "A Bicyclops Built For Two" could have been improved is if Ed O'Neill provided Al(kazar)'s voice.

"Alllllllllll! I did my hair the way you wanted it!"[/quote]

I completely agree and I've wondered whether they asked Ed and he declined or something like that... nevertheless the episode is great, and the rest of the series too!

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Post by marriedaniac » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:26 pm

And the fact they're still making new eps = happy fans. :D

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:51 am

I never got into Futurama. Been years since I saw an episode though, maybe I should give it a try again. Only problem is it's not airing at the moment.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398