ALF

Friends, Simpsons, ....

Moderator: Moderators

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

ALF

Post by Shoe Dick » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Now I know for a fact that ALF is huge for you Germans, the TV-movie Project: ALF even got a movie-premiere in Germany alone. What are everyone's opinion of ths show? Personally I love it, it's one of my favorite shows ever, right behind MWC.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Re: ALF

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:17 am

There was movie of ALF? Well I haven't seen an episode of ALf since about 1986 or 1987. I don't think they even show reruns of it here, but maybe I'm at work when they do. So I can't say much about it.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:48 am

Dr. Trumaine wrote:There was movie of ALF? Well I haven't seen an episode of ALf since about 1986 or 1987. I don't think they even show reruns of it here, but maybe I'm at work when they do. So I can't say much about it.
Really?? The show started airing in 1986, I guess younever followed it then, and I guess you were a grown-up in the 80's cause most kids of the 80's grew up with ALF. ALF is not on any local channel as far as I know at the moment, which is a shame. If that will change, you should give the show a chance ;)

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Daniel
Site Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Marcy

Post by Daniel » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:01 pm

I can only speak for myself, that ALF was "always present".
It was very often on TV - just like MWC.

But I can't say that ALF was "huge".
It was a series like many others at that time (Golden Girls, Alf, Knight Rider, A-Team).

I saw that ALF Movie (on TV) - it was not very good.

btw: My dog looks like ALFs brother.

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Well I mean today I can't say much about it. I was about 8 years old in 1986. I remember watching it and come to think of it I think I had like some folders for school with ALF on it. I remember it like Danial, it was on with all those other shows. It was huge in America, at least among 8 year olds. My perspective was rather limited at the time so I can't speak for the rest of the country! I sure don't remember the movie.

So tell me something, I watched ALF when it came out in the 1980s. How long would it have taken a show back then to come out in Europe? A few months? Or years? Today I figure its pretty much instantly.

Daniel
Site Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Marcy

Post by Daniel » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:59 pm

Here we go:

22.09.1986 US television premiere
05.01.1988 German television premiere

compared to MWC:

05.04.1987 US television premiere
19.01.1992 German television premiere

Zypherix

Post by Zypherix » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:36 pm

Both shows began airing on swedish television in 1988, according to the swedish television archives.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Yupp, 1988. Pretty late if you ask me.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Daniel (f.k.a. admin) wrote:I can only speak for myself, that ALF was "always present".
It was very often on TV - just like MWC.

But I can't say that ALF was "huge".
It was a series like many others at that time (Golden Girls, Alf, Knight Rider, A-Team).

I saw that ALF Movie (on TV) - it was not very good.

btw: My dog looks like ALFs brother.
Yeah Project: ALF was not as good as it could have been, I still enjoy it though.

Hey, I thought Knight Rider, if anything, was huge?? It single-handedly convinced the Germans to sponsor Baywatch.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:41 pm

Hey that's reminds me, what is it with Germans and David Hasselhoff? Its like a joke here that he's big in Germany. We make the same joke about Jerry Lewis but with France. Can anybody explain that?

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:24 am

Dr. Trumaine wrote:Hey that's reminds me, what is it with Germans and David Hasselhoff? Its like a joke here that he's big in Germany. We make the same joke about Jerry Lewis but with France. Can anybody explain that?
All I know is, Knight Rider made it big, they were desperate for some more Hoff and helped Baywatch get financed and the rest is history!

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

MadBionicleCollector
Cousine Effie
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy!

Post by MadBionicleCollector » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:50 am

I remember watching alf when i was a kid, but i can only remember it vaguely.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:27 pm

As I have mentioned before, I am a massive ALF fan. For years now, I've been working on an ALF fansite, off and on. Last month I finished it for the show's 25th anniversary and I'd like to share it with all of you.

Here's the link: http://alfanatic.webs.com/

The design is a great throwback to the fansites made in the 90's. When I became a born-again fan in 2003, I visited a lot of great old sites, the design is a tribute to those.

Hope you'll enjoy it.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Post by marriedaniac » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:42 am

Love the '90s throwback. Awesome, you got an interview with Seinfeld's mother! :)

I'm not the biggest ALF fan... I guess my memories of watching it in the late '80s creeped me out a bit. But it's been a long time since then, I should watch whole episodes again one day soon.

And if you decide for some reason you don't like ALF anymore, you can make it a MWC site and keep the same url, Al Fanatic. :D

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:42 am

That is very impressive. Here's a question ALFanatic, is ALF ever mentioned on MWC? I'm thinking maybe he is but I can't remember, If anyone would know it would be you!