Germans and MWC

for english talking people

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Germans and MWC

Post by Dr. Shoe » Thu May 10, 2007 6:19 am

Can anybody tell me why MWC is so popular in German speaking countries? I explained to my Dad this weekend why I had to order my season sets from Amazon.de and he asked why the show did so well there? Any ideas?

Daniel
Site Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Marcy

Post by Daniel » Thu May 10, 2007 8:03 am

I think there are several reasons. Some years ago I wrote a detailed answer about that - but I can't find it at the moment..

In short:
European fans are more "die hard" fans. sure there are real fans somewhere else, but "here" in German speaking countries there are many realy faithful, abiding fans.

For example: Take any tv-series running in usa and german speaking countries. I'm sure you'll find much more german websites about the series than english ones. I find that phenomenon for every show/series I'm searching an info for.

Another example:
We have now released all mwc-seasons on DVD. I remember when I startet the petition for unsyndicated and a faster dvd release and I got hundrets of signatures in a few days. And it worked...

I also think that the dubbing of mwc was really well done. Personly I think that the dubbed voice of EON is better than the original.

The humor of the show is some kind of humor most people like (not all, but many).
Even if people have never seen mwc they know the name "Al Bundy". Even now a days I hear the name "Al Bundy" once and then in the radio or tv.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Thu May 10, 2007 11:29 am

That is true about Europeans being more die-hard fans, and Germany is the die-hardest of them all :D They make a fansite of every show you could think of, which is great :)

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

goehno
Cousin Eb

Post by goehno » Thu May 10, 2007 2:57 pm

Well argued, admin. He's so right!

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Thu May 10, 2007 4:36 pm

That's interesting. So it isn't exactly MWC but any show a German likes he just plain really likes! Wow! That never would have occured to me.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Thu May 10, 2007 5:09 pm

Dr. Trumaine wrote:That's interesting. So it isn't exactly MWC but any show a German likes he just plain really likes! Wow! That never would have occured to me.
Yes, quite right. Think of a show, then search that show along with "fan site" on google and you'll most likely find a German fan site to that show ;)

goehno
Cousin Eb

Post by goehno » Thu May 10, 2007 5:10 pm

What is also important is that (in my opinion) all/most german shows are pretty much bullshit. The (relatively) few ones that come from America are the most successful shows there. So we are offered a rather small number of high quality shows. No wonder we like them so much...

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Thu May 10, 2007 5:32 pm

goehno wrote:What is also important is that (in my opinion) all/most german shows are pretty much bullshit. The (relatively) few ones that come from America are the most successful shows there. So we are offered a rather small number of high quality shows. No wonder we like them so much...
Same as here in Sweden, unfortunately we don't make any fan sites, we leave that to you guys. Keep it up :wink:

GetBuck
Chicken

Post by GetBuck » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:54 pm

lmfao! @ the shoe sales man ranking ;D