Ed O'Neill

for english talking people

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Re: Ed O'Neill

Post by Dr. Shoe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:Striking likeness, but not Ed. Bought the complete series of this show just some weeks ago, actually. It was wildly popular in Sweden. How popular, you ask?

When my aunt was pregnant and her water broke and needed to go to the hospital, her husband said she had to take herself and that he'd meet up with her, because The Macahans was on! :)

True story.
Have you seen the movie it's based on?

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm embarrassed to say that no, I haven't :( I should have (and will), since it feaures some of my favorite actors.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

blossa
Chicken

Post by blossa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:Striking likeness, but not Ed. Bought the complete series of this show just some weeks ago, actually. It was wildly popular in Sweden. How popular, you ask?

When my aunt was pregnant and her water broke and needed to go to the hospital, her husband said she had to take herself and that he'd meet up with her, because The Macahans was on! :)

True story.
LOL I can believe that. :D I remember that our family gathered in front of the TV when it was time for it. :) Maybe it was extra special because we only had two TV channels in Sweden back then. ;)

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:04 pm

blossa wrote:

True story.
LOL I can believe that. :D I remember that our family gathered in front of the TV when it was time for it. :) Maybe it was extra special because we only had two TV channels in Sweden back then. ;)
Holy %@*!, you're Swedish, too?? Cool! Yeah The Macahans was the shit back in the day. Don't remember much, but I know I'll love it.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 am

It's not even on DVD here that I can find. They must really have loved it over there. Reminds me of when I bought German MWC DVDs and a region free DVD player because MWC wasn't out here yet.

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Post by marriedaniac » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 am

"How did you get to the hospital when Bud was born?"
"Taxi."
"And why? Because I drove to the pool hall IN THE DODGE!"

Shoe Dick wrote:
blossa wrote: LOL I can believe that. :D I remember that our family gathered in front of the TV when it was time for it. :) Maybe it was extra special because we only had two TV channels in Sweden back then. ;)
Holy %@*!, you're Swedish, too?? Cool!
I thought you noticed that and were exemplifying that it was extra extra popular. :)

What is it about this show and MWC that Swedes find so appealing?

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:19 pm

No, I thought he was perhaps from another European country where it was popular.

Well, we're very americanized. The US culture is pretty popular here, so that has something to do with it, I think. Not dubbing the damned things to make them appear more Swedish helps, of course. Perhaps The Macahans was extra popular in Sweden because a lot of our ancestors left Sweden to settle in America, which is something the shows deal with. Finding a new home, adapting etc. We read about this stuff in class at a young age.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:No, I thought he was perhaps from another European country where it was popular.

Well, we're very americanized. The US culture is pretty popular here, so that has something to do with it, I think. Not dubbing the damned things to make them appear more Swedish helps, of course. Perhaps The Macahans was extra popular in Sweden because a lot of our ancestors left Sweden to settle in America, which is something the shows deal with. Finding a new home, adapting etc. We read about this stuff in class at a young age.
A few hours from where I live is this little town called Lindsborg, Kansas. They market It as "Little Sweden, USA." We went there to a bed and breakfast one weekend. It was settled by Swedes and they have Swedish resteraunts and themed shops and festivals, signs in Swedish! Lutheran church, and all kinds of stuff. They have the Swedish Pavillion from the 1904 Worlds Fair. The swedish royals visited the town and there's pictures of the event all over the place. I wonder what you would think of it there. they'd probably treat you like a minor celebrity there. Nothing gives authenticity to something like authenticity.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm

That sounds like a place I'd like to visit some day. Minnesota is another one, as lots and lots of Swedes settled there. Jack Lemmon's character in the Grumpy Old Men movies even has a Swedish name - John Gustafsson!

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:28 pm

The actual official Swedish colony in America was somewhere in New Jersey, but that's been over 300 years ago so I've no idea what remains of that.

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Post by marriedaniac » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:That sounds like a place I'd like to visit some day. Minnesota is another one, as lots and lots of Swedes settled there. Jack Lemmon's character in the Grumpy Old Men movies even has a Swedish name - John Gustafsson!
Aaaaand now I am just thinking of the Golden Girls and Rose's Scandanavian upbringing. ;)

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 pm

marriedaniac wrote:
Shoe Dick wrote:That sounds like a place I'd like to visit some day. Minnesota is another one, as lots and lots of Swedes settled there. Jack Lemmon's character in the Grumpy Old Men movies even has a Swedish name - John Gustafsson!
Aaaaand now I am just thinking of the Golden Girls and Rose's Scandanavian upbringing. ;)
Oh yes. As I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I grew up watching The Golden Girls and took pride of her Scandinavian (Norwegian one week, Swedish the other week, the writers didn't keep check of where her ancestors were from, continuity, as you've said before, is sitcoms worst enemy) heritage :) Her last name sure is Swedish, Nylund.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Is Sven Hungstrom Swedish?

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Who the heck is that?

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:Who the heck is that?

Are you kidding me! Man, you're slipping. From 0505 The Unnatural.