did al have an accent in the pilot?

Here you can ask any questions about MWC

Moderator: Moderators

zzcool
Shoe Salesman

did al have an accent in the pilot?

Post by zzcool » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 am

hi i am going thru the entire series for a second time and while watching the pilot i notice that al has a different way of talking sort of like an italian accent listen closely and you'll see what i mean

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Re: did al have an accent in the pilot?

Post by marriedaniac » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Yeah, like a working class Italian accent. Or something. He lost it after season one.

ARMAN
No Maam Member

Post by ARMAN » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:55 pm

yea deffinitly have something italian in the air in the first season/shows... also the fridge in the first episode is full of food :mrgreen:

LetsRock
Verminator
Your favorite MWC Character: Al "Four touchdowns in one game" Bundy

Post by LetsRock » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:36 am

I always laugh when I see how Kelly's reasonably smart in the first couple of seasons and when I see Peg cooking :)

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 am

Italian? Surely you jest :) I've always heard about that working class accent, but it being Italian doesn't make any sense.

Oh, and could someone please tell me what the heck a working class accent IS?!

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:04 am

Yeah, he is using a blue-collar accent. Its something you usually hear in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states. You can hear it in Chicago, but mostly you hear varieties of it on the Eastern Seaboard. New York, Boston, Philidelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and etc each have thier own dialects that have developed over time. Lots of influences from overseas and with different British accents over time because of contact through shipping and immigration. Those areas have a lot of blue-collar workers ie manufacturing and industry etc and so those dialects, which often sound similar to outsiders, which includes me, I'm from the Midwest (I can pretty much pick out Boston and New York), are associated with blue collar workers. They are considered blue-collar/working class accents because professional people or people in higher education typically adopt a general American accent. If you don't you just won't go as far. I don't know which one Ed is doing or if he's kind of combining some or if its something he heard in Ohio gowing up, its almost an Eastern state. Its also pretty much a white phenomenon. Blacks have thier own dialect which has a very Southern quality to it, because thats where most black's families used to live till they went north for jobs in the twentith centurey.

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:58 am

Gee, I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all or something there. I'm in grad school for speech pathology and my wife is a speech pathologist. We're expected to know the difference between dialect and pathology (disorder). Someone who speaks differently because of where they are from doesn't really have anything wrong with them.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:29 am

Dr. Shoe wrote:Gee, I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all or something there. I'm in grad school for speech pathology and my wife is a speech pathologist. We're expected to know the difference between dialect and pathology (disorder). Someone who speaks differently because of where they are from doesn't really have anything wrong with them.
Oh of course not :) I found it to be very interesting.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Post by marriedaniac » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:
Dr. Shoe wrote:Gee, I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all or something there. I'm in grad school for speech pathology and my wife is a speech pathologist. We're expected to know the difference between dialect and pathology (disorder). Someone who speaks differently because of where they are from doesn't really have anything wrong with them.
Oh of course not :) I found it to be very interesting.
As did I.
So one day you will be a real DR. Shoe? 8)

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:38 am

I'd bet on it.

ronthekanuk
New Market Maller

Post by ronthekanuk » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:52 am

Hi Shoe Dick...

"Dr. Shoe wrote:Gee, I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all or something there. I'm in grad school for speech pathology and my wife is a speech pathologist. We're expected to know the difference between dialect and pathology (disorder). Someone who speaks differently because of where they are from doesn't really have anything wrong with them. "
==========================================================

Just look at the accent that is heard when the Presidential candidate Rick Perry speaks...
or remember what George Bush sounded like..
Then you will understand the disdain held by the Liberal New York Media for these
unwashed Southern Hicks....
It is as if they were fresh off the boat and not worthy of the job of president.

Then listen to John Kerry and you will see that a Northeastern Education in an Ivy League School
is what makes a candidate acceptable.... Of course.... he also served in Vietnam (sort of) rofl

ARMAN
No Maam Member

Post by ARMAN » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:25 pm

really? politics into AlBundy forum? you serious? :) i guess they(or Ed) chose to go with italian accent cause they(italians) are steriotype of hard working american man and are famose for bitching and moaning all the time :mrgreen:

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Ronthekanuk, "Excuse me. Did I hear the trace of a Vancouverian accent?"

I for one am glad Ed dropped the dialect just like I'm glad Kelly got stupid as the show progressed. I always thought it sounded a little too forced and he didn't need it for the character. Now who really should have had one was Peggy Wanker Bundy! I think I'm glad she didn't have one, but its interesting to think about how the show would have been different if she had.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:35 am

Watching the pilot episode tonight I finally picked up on the accent, even my girlfriend did and she's not even a big fan of the show. She asked me why he spoke like an Italian guy :) I've always put it down as Al just sounding/being a big nagging - but that's the accent! :) Kind of sounds like a New Yorker with Italian roots.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

ARMAN
No Maam Member

Post by ARMAN » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:03 pm

^^ exactly :)