Page 1 of 4

sucks for you germans

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:07 pm
by GetBuck
how can you watch all these great shows like MWC without the original voices :/ i would kill myself if all the shows in sweden were dubbed.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:59 pm
by goehno
At least with the DVDs out we do watch it with the original voices. But in this particular case the german dubbing voices are often considered to be even better than the original ones...

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:59 pm
by Daniel
It has been said a lot of time already in the forum.
They did really a great job dubbing MWC.

In fact most movies and series are dubbed very well.
I enjoy watching dubbed things on tv.

But I also often watch movies and series in english.

BTW: As far as I remember you've subtitles in Sweden - that must be too not the best solution.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:10 pm
by Shoe Dick
How can something dubbed be better than the original? I don't see how that's possible. It can't sound or look right, but I guess you guys are used to it.

And about Swedes having subtitles, of course we do. Why is that a bad thing? Our native tongue is not english so naturally we have to have subtitles since some don't understand. We would never dub anything except for cartoons, I don't see a reason to, it only ruin things. It's better to have subtitles than to have dubbed voices IMO.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:23 am
by Dr. Shoe
Better dubbed than the original? Well now I wish I could speak German! That'd be an interesting way for me to learn German I'll just watch Married With Children. Can you watch it with German voices and English subtitles? 8)

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:04 am
by Daniel
Dr. Trumaine wrote:Better dubbed than the original? Well now I wish I could speak German! That'd be an interesting way for me to learn German I'll just watch Married With Children. Can you watch it with German voices and English subtitles? 8)


Of course we can watch it german with english subs.

Since there are so many people speaking german movies/tv have been dubbed since ever. There's a big industry behind that. Just think about how many things are produced for tv every year. And every thing get's dubbed - really everything. From the big movie to the tiniest crap ever produced for tv.

And of course we are used to it. I would go so far to say that 50% wouldn't understand a word if there would be no dubbing.

And hell yes, if there was a show dubbed best it was/is/(and will be forever) MWC :) .

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:46 pm
by Dr. Shoe
Well now this will be an interesting experiment. I'll watch the few German seasons I have in German and see what I can pick up. Say, do a lot of Germans learn English this way? I figure you just learn it in school. Anyway I need to do this. Now that I order stuff from Amazon.de I can't understand any of the e-mails I get. Wow! It'll be like watching MWC for the first time again...

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:06 pm
by Daniel
Dr. Trumaine wrote:Well now this will be an interesting experiment. I'll watch the few German seasons I have in German and see what I can pick up. Say, do a lot of Germans learn English this way? I figure you just learn it in school. Anyway I need to do this. Now that I order stuff from Amazon.de I can't understand any of the e-mails I get. Wow! It'll be like watching MWC for the first time again...


We learn english at school. I think now they even start learning it in primary school.

btw. here is one of the best EN<->German dictionaries: http://dict.leo.org

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:18 am
by BATMANdeLuxe
For a long time, i only knew the german dubbing, i thought it´s great. But when the dvds came out, i also watched the original voices and i think its great, because the actors have funny voices (especially Ed o´Neill). I watched ALL the episodes in english :)

But what sucks for you guys is that we have all eleven seasons here in Germany, and, thank god, they´re not syndicated :P

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:27 am
by Daniel
BATMANdeLuxe wrote:But what sucks for you guys is that we have all eleven seasons here in Germany, and, thank god, they´re not syndicated :P


rofl

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:06 pm
by Dr. Shoe
Yes it really sucks for us Americans! Though I have been ordering my season sets from Germany after season six. Which means I have to hack my DVD player to play region free. I have to punch in a code everytime I turn it one. But hey its worth it for Married with...Children. :wink:

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:34 pm
by Panek
I suggest changing the firmware of your PC DVD drive and using "RegionKiller" to watch every DVD from anywhere in the world

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:27 am
by edinstven
Dr. Trumaine wrote:Well now this will be an interesting experiment. I'll watch the few German seasons I have in German and see what I can pick up. Say, do a lot of Germans learn English this way? I figure you just learn it in school. Anyway I need to do this. Now that I order stuff from Amazon.de I can't understand any of the e-mails I get. Wow! It'll be like watching MWC for the first time again...



like daniel said, like in most of the countries in germany you learn english at school. in countries with subtitles and no dubbing people maybe better learn english because of watching tv.

@ the last sentence of your post:
i almost never watched MWC in english and i am looking forward to watch all episode's in english. like you said: it will be like watching MWC for the first time again. not least because many of the jokes were adjusted to the german humour.


imho i think that dubbing is a good thing for people who nearly can't speak english. in such cases it is terrible with subtitles because you have to read every word and you can't put your hole concentration at the movie.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:40 am
by Dr. Shoe
German Humor you say? Does that mean they use German pop culture references and and stuff like that? I would think some of the American slang vs German slang there must be some difficult translation. Do they scrap the American slang and use German slang even though it alters the meaning for the sake of keeping it funny?

Not a lot of subtitle watching here in the states. As I think about it I can only think of a few German films I have seen, Run Lola Run and Das Boot. Maybe some silent films like Metropolis and some stuff like that.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:22 am
by Daniel
Dr. Trumaine wrote:German Humor you say? Does that mean they use German pop culture references and and stuff like that? I would think some of the American slang vs German slang there must be some difficult translation. Do they scrap the American slang and use German slang even though it alters the meaning for the sake of keeping it funny?


Of course they adapted alle american jokes about people to german ones.
But not everything was adapted. e.g. Oprah.

But as far as I remember they never changed the meaning of a joke. If Al jokes about a crazy american talkmaster they just changed the talkmaster and not the complete meaning of the joke.

But some phrases hat to be changed completely.
E.g. Pumpkin. This makes no sense in german nor is it funny in any way.
So in german Kelly is called "Dumpfbacke". With is spoken not longer or shorter than pumpkin. It also matches the mouth-gestures of the actor.


Btw.: Dubbing is never just translating. The translation must also fit in lenght and to the actors way of speaking and such things.