sucks for you germans

for english talking people

Moderator: Moderators

GetBuck
Chicken

sucks for you germans

Post by GetBuck » Mon May 28, 2007 8:07 pm

how can you watch all these great shows like MWC without the original voices :/ i would kill myself if all the shows in sweden were dubbed.

goehno
Cousin Eb

Post by goehno » Mon May 28, 2007 8:59 pm

At least with the DVDs out we do watch it with the original voices. But in this particular case the german dubbing voices are often considered to be even better than the original ones...

Daniel
Site Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Marcy

Post by Daniel » Mon May 28, 2007 9:59 pm

It has been said a lot of time already in the forum.
They did really a great job dubbing MWC.

In fact most movies and series are dubbed very well.
I enjoy watching dubbed things on tv.

But I also often watch movies and series in english.

BTW: As far as I remember you've subtitles in Sweden - that must be too not the best solution.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Mon May 28, 2007 11:10 pm

How can something dubbed be better than the original? I don't see how that's possible. It can't sound or look right, but I guess you guys are used to it.

And about Swedes having subtitles, of course we do. Why is that a bad thing? Our native tongue is not english so naturally we have to have subtitles since some don't understand. We would never dub anything except for cartoons, I don't see a reason to, it only ruin things. It's better to have subtitles than to have dubbed voices IMO.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Tue May 29, 2007 5:23 am

Better dubbed than the original? Well now I wish I could speak German! That'd be an interesting way for me to learn German I'll just watch Married With Children. Can you watch it with German voices and English subtitles? 8)

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Tue May 29, 2007 6:04 am

Dr. Trumaine wrote:Better dubbed than the original? Well now I wish I could speak German! That'd be an interesting way for me to learn German I'll just watch Married With Children. Can you watch it with German voices and English subtitles? 8)
Of course we can watch it german with english subs.

Since there are so many people speaking german movies/tv have been dubbed since ever. There's a big industry behind that. Just think about how many things are produced for tv every year. And every thing get's dubbed - really everything. From the big movie to the tiniest crap ever produced for tv.

And of course we are used to it. I would go so far to say that 50% wouldn't understand a word if there would be no dubbing.

And hell yes, if there was a show dubbed best it was/is/(and will be forever) MWC :) .

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Tue May 29, 2007 4:46 pm

Well now this will be an interesting experiment. I'll watch the few German seasons I have in German and see what I can pick up. Say, do a lot of Germans learn English this way? I figure you just learn it in school. Anyway I need to do this. Now that I order stuff from Amazon.de I can't understand any of the e-mails I get. Wow! It'll be like watching MWC for the first time again...

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Tue May 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Dr. Trumaine wrote:Well now this will be an interesting experiment. I'll watch the few German seasons I have in German and see what I can pick up. Say, do a lot of Germans learn English this way? I figure you just learn it in school. Anyway I need to do this. Now that I order stuff from Amazon.de I can't understand any of the e-mails I get. Wow! It'll be like watching MWC for the first time again...
We learn english at school. I think now they even start learning it in primary school.

btw. here is one of the best EN<->German dictionaries: http://dict.leo.org

BATMANdeLuxe
Vetter Jimmy

Post by BATMANdeLuxe » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:18 am

For a long time, i only knew the german dubbing, i thought it´s great. But when the dvds came out, i also watched the original voices and i think its great, because the actors have funny voices (especially Ed o´Neill). I watched ALL the episodes in english :)

But what sucks for you guys is that we have all eleven seasons here in Germany, and, thank god, they´re not syndicated :P

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:27 am

BATMANdeLuxe wrote: But what sucks for you guys is that we have all eleven seasons here in Germany, and, thank god, they´re not syndicated :P
rofl

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:06 pm

Yes it really sucks for us Americans! Though I have been ordering my season sets from Germany after season six. Which means I have to hack my DVD player to play region free. I have to punch in a code everytime I turn it one. But hey its worth it for Married with...Children. :wink:

Panek
Dodge Liebhaber
Your favorite MWC Character: Al & Peggy

Post by Panek » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:34 pm

I suggest changing the firmware of your PC DVD drive and using "RegionKiller" to watch every DVD from anywhere in the world

edinstven
Wanker Drilling

Post by edinstven » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:27 am

Dr. Trumaine wrote:Well now this will be an interesting experiment. I'll watch the few German seasons I have in German and see what I can pick up. Say, do a lot of Germans learn English this way? I figure you just learn it in school. Anyway I need to do this. Now that I order stuff from Amazon.de I can't understand any of the e-mails I get. Wow! It'll be like watching MWC for the first time again...

like daniel said, like in most of the countries in germany you learn english at school. in countries with subtitles and no dubbing people maybe better learn english because of watching tv.

@ the last sentence of your post:
i almost never watched MWC in english and i am looking forward to watch all episode's in english. like you said: it will be like watching MWC for the first time again. not least because many of the jokes were adjusted to the german humour.

imho i think that dubbing is a good thing for people who nearly can't speak english. in such cases it is terrible with subtitles because you have to read every word and you can't put your hole concentration at the movie.

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:40 am

German Humor you say? Does that mean they use German pop culture references and and stuff like that? I would think some of the American slang vs German slang there must be some difficult translation. Do they scrap the American slang and use German slang even though it alters the meaning for the sake of keeping it funny?

Not a lot of subtitle watching here in the states. As I think about it I can only think of a few German films I have seen, Run Lola Run and Das Boot. Maybe some silent films like Metropolis and some stuff like that.

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:22 am

Dr. Trumaine wrote:German Humor you say? Does that mean they use German pop culture references and and stuff like that? I would think some of the American slang vs German slang there must be some difficult translation. Do they scrap the American slang and use German slang even though it alters the meaning for the sake of keeping it funny?
Of course they adapted alle american jokes about people to german ones.
But not everything was adapted. e.g. Oprah.

But as far as I remember they never changed the meaning of a joke. If Al jokes about a crazy american talkmaster they just changed the talkmaster and not the complete meaning of the joke.

But some phrases hat to be changed completely.
E.g. Pumpkin. This makes no sense in german nor is it funny in any way.
So in german Kelly is called "Dumpfbacke". With is spoken not longer or shorter than pumpkin. It also matches the mouth-gestures of the actor.

Btw.: Dubbing is never just translating. The translation must also fit in lenght and to the actors way of speaking and such things.