MWC References in Pop Culture

for english talking people

Moderator: Moderators

LinkTGF
Onkel Otto

MWC References in Pop Culture

Post by LinkTGF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:26 am

Just a place to post anytime you've seen the Bundy family mentioned in pop culture

To start, I just watched the movie "Dick" again (1999) and there is a man who is described as "not having amounted to much" and "worked as a woman's shoe salesman at some place called 'Gariles' or something..."

Pretty sure they were talking about Al! :)

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:15 am

That's a pretty good idea!

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Thu May 24, 2007 2:52 am

I was watching Scrubs tonight, episode 310 and Turk is watching TV when J.D. comes in and says "Married With Children, cool. Has Kelly come on yet?" Then there is some other banter which is too hard to describe here. :|

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Thu May 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Good topic, it is referenced in an episode of The Simpsons. You see Al and Peg talking, I don't remember what's being said but I know that Peggy zings Al with a sex-joke.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Panek
Dodge Liebhaber
Your favorite MWC Character: Al & Peggy

Post by Panek » Thu May 24, 2007 10:55 pm

In the movie Donnie Darko (one of my favorites), the main character (Donnie, obviously) refers to Married... With Children, specifically Christina Applegate. He mentions her in his conversations with his therapist about sex. There was even one deleted scene where Donnie was watching Kelly in a MWC episode with a big grin on his face. The movie takes place in 1988, a 'thank you' message for Christina is also in the credits.

Aside from that, Futurama also has a parody of MWC (with Leela looking like Peggy) in the episode 02x09 - "A Bicyclops Built For Two".

Also, in "Borat", when Borat comes to the US he watches a MWC episode for a second.

These are all I can remember.
Last edited by Panek on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Thu May 31, 2007 2:05 am

Ok, I hope this merits being posted here. I thought this was cool. Across America, I don't know if its the same in Europe but I presume it is. We have "rush hour" at about 5:00pm. That is everybody hops in thier cars to drive home from work and the roads get clogged for an hour or so. Anyway I was with my wife in the car at about 5:00 listening to a rock station here in KC. So, radio stations kick off the rush our with little montages of traffic sounds and clips from songs about cars and etc. But in the middle of the montage today I distinctly heard Al Bundy yelling "In your cars! In your cars!" I doubled checked when I got home and sure enough it was the Labor Day episode from season 5 where they are stuck in traffic. My wife said to me "You're the only one that would get that." But I could think of a few other people who could... Pardon my ignorance of European traffic phenomina! :)

BATMANdeLuxe
Vetter Jimmy

Post by BATMANdeLuxe » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:14 am

There are two Simpsons Episodes with Clips from MWC, the first is "Deep Space Homer" from Season 5, the second is from the fourth season (can´t remember the title, but Ned Flanders is watching MWC in it).

By the way, "Deep Space Homer" is the only episode which is stored at the ISS so that the astronauts can watch it :)

In the movie "Borat", Sasha Baron Cohen is watching a clip of the episode "Oh, what a feeling".

Meelis
Miss Penza - Bundy
Your favorite MWC Character: Al,Kelly and Jefferson

Post by Meelis » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:34 pm

AFI has a song called 'Highschool Football Hero'
:)

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Too bad they don't mention Al in it. The ultimate caricature of the ex football hero.

BATMANdeLuxe
Vetter Jimmy

Post by BATMANdeLuxe » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:26 pm

The german hip hop group "Die fantastischen Vier" refers to Al Bundy on the track "Was geht" from their album "Lauschgift" from 1995.

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:10 am

I was reading that Universal is opening a Harry Potter themepark in Orlando. Now wouldn't it be nice to have a MWC themepark? Bundyland! Think of it, you could have the Bundy's and the Darcys place, New Market Mall, the Shoe Store, Polk High, Foodies, and maybe the Jiggly Room! :wink: They could put it in the greater Chicago area or perhaps build a EuroBundyland in Germany! Man I have all the great ideas but I never seem to have any capital....

Daniel
Site Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Marcy

Post by Daniel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:16 am

Dr. Trumaine wrote:I was reading that Universal is opening a Harry Potter themepark in Orlando. Now wouldn't it be nice to have a MWC themepark? Bundyland! Think of it, you could have the Bundy's and the Darcys place, New Market Mall, the Shoe Store, Polk High, Foodies, and maybe the Jiggly Room! :wink: They could put it in the greater Chicago area or perhaps build a EuroBundyland in Germany! Man I have all the great ideas but I never seem to have any capital....
Yep, Germany would be ok for me :)

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:41 am

Or how about a MWC convention? Why should the Trekkies have all the fun? We could invite the cast and dress as the characters. We've even got action figures to sell now. :)

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:06 pm

Yeah a convention would be cool, either in America or Germany, with all the actors present. That would be sweet!

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:40 pm

Okay I wonder if you guys have noticed this. Me and the missus have been watching King of Queens and I've noticed several almost homages to Al Bundy. Doug the main character in one episode brags about being part of the "All-City Football champs 1985." and in another where he's getting reading to play a carnival game where you throw a ball to knock down some milk bottles he says "its no problem I played high school baseball." Its not outright but I bet MWC was in the writers minds. I'll keep watching to look for something more overt.