Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid forum viewing?

for english talking people

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Re: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid forum viewing?

Post by Dr. Shoe » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:14 am

We enjoyed the movie. The long escape chase was great. One atypical thing about this movie I think, is there isn't really a good guy in it. Normally you find in classic Westerns there's the villains and the heros. You never really meet a hero in this, you're kind of left rooting for some good humored crooks. This is pretty normal for today's movies but back in 1969 I think this was just starting, you could call it a modern Western I guess. But its funny how you root for them anyway, you like them because they outwit thier pursuers and they are funny, which are good qualities. I remember someone asking Anthony Hopkins why he thought people rooted for Hannibal Lector, and he said something about people admiring his cleverness. And when you think about it, clever is good. I don't know why I'm waxing philisophical, maybe because its after midnight. I think the score is interesting too, not much period music in it. And the montages of photographs are a cool transitional device. I also laughed when they got to Bolivia and all there is is a bunch of huts and llamas. The other good movie Redford and Newman are in together is The Sting, which ironically I wrote about on another thread.
Last edited by Dr. Shoe on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Dr. Shoe wrote:One atypical thing about this movie I think, is there isn't really a good guy in it. Normally you find in classic Westerns there's the villains and the heros. You never really meet a hero in this, you're kind of left rooting for some good humored crooks. This is pretty normal for today's movies but back in 1969 I think this was just starting, you could call it a modern Western I guess. But its funny how you root for them anyway, you like them because they outwit thier pursuers and they are funny, which is are good qualities. I remember someone asking Anthony Hopkins why he thought people rooted for Hannibal Lector, and he said something about people admiring his cleverness. And when you think about it, clever is good.
That's probably very true, I didn't think of that when I first saw the movie. It's common now, but I bet it wasn't back in the day at all. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the movie as well.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Post by marriedaniac » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Glad to read everyone's thoughts on the movie. I now have it, and I will be watching it on Tuesday (that's technically today) or Wednesday night, hopefully to report back on Thursday.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:32 pm

marriedaniac wrote:Glad to read everyone's thoughts on the movie. I now have it, and I will be watching it on Tuesday (that's technically today) or Wednesday night, hopefully to report back on Thursday.
Looking forward to it, thought you had forgotten about it for a while.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Post by marriedaniac » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:41 am

Shoe Dick wrote:
marriedaniac wrote:Glad to read everyone's thoughts on the movie. I now have it, and I will be watching it on Tuesday (that's technically today) or Wednesday night, hopefully to report back on Thursday.
Never! That's like renting a hotel room and not ripping off the honour bar!

ARMAN
No Maam Member

Post by ARMAN » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:
ARMAN wrote:its a good movie, will never be in my favorits due to the fact that westerns generally bore me to death but still good :)
Didn't you say you'd never seen a western before, prior to Hondo, which you liked?
i guess so, i saw some movies was on TV but never cared to watch any of them, watched Hondo strictly cause Al would want me to do it :mrgreen:
marriedaniac wrote:
Shoe Dick wrote:
Never! That's like renting a hotel room and not ripping off the honour bar!
ahahahaha you do know the scripts to a single word :P

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:33 am

Thanksgiving is in four weeks, we could watch Dutch. And of course near Christmas the Shoe family always has a one night Christmas Bundyathon with all the Xmas episodes.

ARMAN
No Maam Member

Post by ARMAN » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:41 pm

just yesterday I watched its a Bundyful life :mrgreen: planning to rewatch all xmas episodes on xmas too :P

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Dr. Shoe wrote:Thanksgiving is in four weeks, we could watch Dutch. And of course near Christmas the Shoe family always has a one night Christmas Bundyathon with all the Xmas episodes.
You sir, are a genius! I'm definitely up for a forum viewing of Dutch! I've owned it for many years but have only gotten around to watching it once during this time, for some strange reason.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

marriedaniac
No Maam Member

Post by marriedaniac » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:17 am

So, I only watched half of Butch Cassidy... :wink:

Kidding. No hall closets for me. I enjoyed it, which is nice (I figured that if I didn't particularly like it, I'd at least have Newman and Redford to look at for two hours.)

I didn't know that Lurch was the "Rules? In a knife fight??" guy...!