Page 2 of 3

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:00 pm
by Daniel
In this "new" forum I've build in an RSS feed.
You can "subscribe" to that RSS feed with your favorite software and have so a look at the latest posts!

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:31 pm
by Shoe Dick
Daniel (f.k.a. admin) wrote:In this "new" forum I've build in an RSS feed.
You can "subscribe" to that RSS feed with your favorite software and have so a look at the latest posts!


Que? Ich sprechen nicht computer-software terms! :)

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 pm
by Daniel
AxelFoley wrote:
Daniel (f.k.a. admin) wrote:In this "new" forum I've build in an RSS feed.
You can "subscribe" to that RSS feed with your favorite software and have so a look at the latest posts!


Que? Ich sprechen nicht computer-software terms! :)


Ohhh, maybe you should read that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:50 am
by Daniel
just saw, that the RSS feed is only build in into the subsilver2 theme. I'll implement it into the other theme too!

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:23 am
by Dr. Shoe
Oh man I'm totally lost. I don't have a favorite software. Can somebody explain to me in a very precise steps what I need to do. Pretend you are talking to a monkey or one of Kelly's boyfriends.

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:13 am
by Daniel
Dr. Trumaine wrote:Oh man I'm totally lost. I don't have a favorite software. Can somebody explain to me in a very precise steps what I need to do. Pretend you are talking to a monkey or one of Kelly's boyfriends.


a) what browser do you use?

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:54 am
by rdo3
dan i'm lost too. i got the eamil notifications working by subscribing to a few boards. i got the rss working on the blog (for that doc all you do is look on the right side of the page and scroll down untill you see rss2.0 , click that then click subscribe in the window that opens.) but i have no idea how to rss the forum. i cant find anything to click on. put one of those orange and black radio wave buttons on the link and i'll see it.

oops forgot. vista and internet explorer

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:01 am
by Daniel
rdo3 wrote:dan i'm lost too. i got the eamil notifications working by subscribing to a few boards. i got the rss working on the blog (for that doc all you do is look on the right side of the page and scroll down untill you see rss2.0 , click that then click subscribe in the window that opens.) but i have no idea how to rss the forum. i cant find anything to click on. put one of those orange and black radio wave buttons on the link and i'll see it.

oops forgot. vista and internet explorer


In the forum, I've to build in the rss link - icon.
But here is the link in advance: http://www.albundy.net/forum/rss.php

So if you are using IE 7.0 - you can read the RSS Feed with the Browser itself.
So let's see what browser Dr. Trueman is using so that we can help him.

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:08 am
by Daniel
Information

I just found out, that you can subscribe to complete categories! So you get an email whenever a new thread is created!

Just open a category (e.g. NEWS) and scroll down to the very bottom of the page. And keep looking for "subscribe forum" (german: "Forum beobachten").
Click it and you'll be informed whenever a new thread is started.

You've to do that for all categories!


btw: Personly I still prefer the RSS Feed :wink:

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:07 am
by Dr. Shoe
Hey, sorry it took so long to get back. I use internat explorer. What do I do now?

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:11 pm
by Shoe Dick
I never get any email subscriptions nowadays, I tried the RSS thing right now, I'll see what it will do. I use IE.

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:33 pm
by Daniel
AxelFoley wrote:I never get any email subscriptions nowadays, I tried the RSS thing right now, I'll see what it will do. I use IE.

But it is working (the email subscription) . At least I get emails!

As far as I know IE 7.0 (not 6.0) can handle RSS Feeds.
Just klick on the RSS Symbol. I don't know where it is in IE 7 (I think in the url-bar).

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:48 pm
by Shoe Dick
Daniel (f.k.a. admin) wrote:
AxelFoley wrote:I never get any email subscriptions nowadays, I tried the RSS thing right now, I'll see what it will do. I use IE.

But it is working (the email subscription) . At least I get emails!

As far as I know IE 7.0 (not 6.0) can handle RSS Feeds.
Just klick on the RSS Symbol. I don't know where it is in IE 7 (I think in the url-bar).


I got one when you replied just now. Will it work on every topic as of now?

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:08 pm
by Daniel
AxelFoley wrote:
Daniel (f.k.a. admin) wrote:
AxelFoley wrote:I never get any email subscriptions nowadays, I tried the RSS thing right now, I'll see what it will do. I use IE.

But it is working (the email subscription) . At least I get emails!

As far as I know IE 7.0 (not 6.0) can handle RSS Feeds.
Just klick on the RSS Symbol. I don't know where it is in IE 7 (I think in the url-bar).


I got one when you replied just now. Will it work on every topic as of now?



Click here --> viewforum.php?f=3&watch=forum&start=0 (you'll subscribe to this categorie (new ideas - homepage))
When you've done that I'll start a new topic and you'll check if you get an email.

Re: e-mail notification when a posting is made

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:06 pm
by rdo3
all i did was click on the rss url dan gave and it sent me to a window thats had a "subscribe to this feed" tag. i clicked on it and it now shows up in my feeds. i'm useing the latest explorer and the feeds button is in the favorites center between the favorites and history buttons. useing vista they also show un in the rss reader under the clock on the right. it's been working for a few days. in internet explorer click on "tools" at the top. then click on "internet options". then click on the "content" tab. go down to feeds and click on "settings". make sure the "automatically check feeds for updates" box is checked and select how often you want the feeds updated. options range from 15 minuets to 1 week. then under advanced on the same pane make sure "turn on feed reading view" is checked. i also have auto marking as read turned on as well so the new content always goes to the top.