Al Bundy Site Redesign

News
Daniel
Site Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Marcy

Al Bundy Site Redesign

Post by Daniel » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi Folks!

As I have already posted in another topic I'm going to redesign the Al Bundy Site.
The main reason for that is, that I want to implement a content management system so that other people (=you) can also tribute some stuff.

The other reason is, that the site had no redesign since 2004!

In this post I just want to share you some ideas and inform you about the progress.

So if you have any ideas or don't like any of mine or want to give me any feedbaack please me know.
Attachments
IMG_20120324_155222.jpg
First mockup on a sheet of paper

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Re: Al Bundy Site Redesign

Post by Shoe Dick » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm not sure what's being written on that sheet. Then again I'm technologically slow, even though I have built a website on my own. I don't mind the way Al Bundy.net looks right now, but I don't mind a change in the design. It's good to shake things up a little sometimes.

I'm behind ya.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:11 am

I like to add pictures to my posts but I think right now I have to link them? That's the only way I've ever been able to do it. Anyway, the links go dead and since I can't edit the posts anymore there's just a bunch of empty squares and the point of my post is often lost. So my wish would be to be able to upload pictures or keep them updated at least.

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Dr. Shoe wrote:I like to add pictures to my posts but I think right now I have to link them? That's the only way I've ever been able to do it. Anyway, the links go dead and since I can't edit the posts anymore there's just a bunch of empty squares and the point of my post is often lost. So my wish would be to be able to upload pictures or keep them updated at least.
Ok, you are talking about the forum.
The forum will be untouched - but I'll think about a solution for your "problems".
Maybe we just take back the restictions that users can't edit their postings after a few hours.

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:I'm not sure what's being written on that sheet. Then again I'm technologically slow, even though I have built a website on my own. I don't mind the way Al Bundy.net looks right now, but I don't mind a change in the design. It's good to shake things up a little sometimes.

I'm behind ya.
No need to worry about the text I wrote :)
The big change will be
a) a new design
b) there there is Typo3 as a content management system in the background - so that everyone (who want's - and who I know :) ) can edit pages.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Daniel wrote: Maybe we just take back the restictions that users can't edit their postings after a few hours.
This takes me back to something we all hated to see, Marcy Rhoades deleting everything she ever posted in the forum. Is there a way to somehow make it possible to edit your post, but not completely delete it?

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:
Daniel wrote: Maybe we just take back the restictions that users can't edit their postings after a few hours.
This takes me back to something we all hated to see, Marcy Rhoades deleting everything she ever posted in the forum. Is there a way to somehow make it possible to edit your post, but not completely delete it?
Marcy didn't delete her postings as well as far as I can remember. She just edited them and deleted the content... (Still a miracle that story)
But maybe I'm wrong.

It's a big/common problem.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:02 pm

She must have deleted them because her post count is 0, she had well over 1000 posts before she left. Still would like to know the reason she left but she hasn't come back yet and probably never will.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:She must have deleted them because her post count is 0, she had well over 1000 posts before she left. Still would like to know the reason she left but she hasn't come back yet and probably never will.
Sad but true...

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Since you are redesigning the site I have a suggestion/request: Could you update the section with your MWC merchandise? I know you've got lots more stuff and would love to see pics of them.

Also, would it be possible to extend that section and have members/collectors add their own pictures of their stuff? That way I think we could see stuff from all over the world that some of us maybe didn't even know existed.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Shoe Dick wrote:Since you are redesigning the site I have a suggestion/request: Could you update the section with your MWC merchandise? I know you've got lots more stuff and would love to see pics of them.
You just want to save them from getting eaten in my cellar :)
But -> approved
Shoe Dick wrote:Also, would it be possible to extend that section and have members/collectors add their own pictures of their stuff? That way I think we could see stuff from all over the world that some of us maybe didn't even know existed.
Of course.
But in future you can create you own page and upload your fotos :)

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin

Post by Shoe Dick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Cool, sounds great. I'll see if I can open a Forum Member Shoe Dick's MWC Collection.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:42 pm

So here you have a sneak peak what the site is looking like at the moment.
Also I included a screenshot from the content management system so that you can get a first impression. You can see that the menue is gernerated from the structure of the site and what the content looks like in the system.
Attachments
redesign_2.png
redesign_1.png